Over the last few years, anyone that knows me personally can tell you how often I have voiced my displeasure with ESPN. In my opinion, the cable network operates more like the NFL Network and less like the "Worldwide Leader in Sports." Perhaps my unhappiness with ESPN stems from the fact that I am a life-long hockey fan, and the network rarely acknowledges the NHL throughout the regular season. Despite my stance on the television network, it is worth noting that I have the ESPN.com website set as the homepage on my internet browser.
Could I be classified as a hypocrite? Perhaps. However, compared to the competition, ESPN usually has the best coverage of all North American sports. Being a fan of sport, I simply cannot help myself. Although, my television viewership of the network has steadily decreased since the introduction of the NHL Network. Personal feelings aside, it would be most productive to get back to the purpose of this post.
While burying myself in studies over the weekend in preparation for final exam week, I took a minor break to find out who won the Heisman Trophy. As I turned on the television and changed the channel to ESPN, I caught the closing credits of the presentation and noticed Alabama's Mark Ingram holding up the prestegious award. What happened next changed my semi-strict studying schedule, and cost me a few hours of sleep as well.
Beginning in October, ESPN began the - 30 for 30 - campaign. Described on their website as "an unprecedented documentary series featuring thirty films from some of today’s finest storytellers. Each filmmaker will bring their passion and personal point of view to their film detailing the issues, trends, athletes, teams, rivalries, games and events that transformed the sports landscape from 1979 to 2009."
On this particular evening, the feature focused on how the University of Miami Hurricanes football program was transformed into 'The U.' For two hours, I sat and stared at the television, completely immersed. The story unfolded like the plot of a movie. "The U" was television at its finest. In fact, I was so enthralled with the show that I watched the encore presentation that night, which kept me wide-awake until 3:30 am.
The next day, it seems as though I woke up singing 'It's all about the U.' I searched the programming guide on my television to find the next time that I could watch the documentary. The ESPNU network provided me with the fix I needed. After viewing "The U" for the third time in slightly over 24 hours, and interrupting my study time once more, I choose to watch story about a basketball phenom who never got the chance to shine on the NBA level. "Without Bias" was the story of University of Maryland star and Boston Celtics draft pick Len Bias, who tragically passed away from a cocaine overdose less than 48 hours after his dream of reaching the NBA came to fruition. Prior to watching the Len Bias documentary, I only vaguely knew of his story. It is a heart-wrenching tale and should serve as a reminder that second chances in life are not always guaranteed. According to "Without Bias", the passing of Len Bias also changed the penalty scale for first time drug offenders in the U.S. and initiated the Drug Abuse Resistance Education program - or D.A.R.E.
For as critical as I have been of ESPN, the two stories that pulled me away from my studies were well worth it. In terms of entertainment, educational value, and ability to feel moved as result of storytelling, ESPN certainly has it correct with "The U" & "Without Bias."
To learn more on the 30 for 30 documentary series, visit 30for30.espn.com
Good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for sharing this accolade for the documentaries. I must admit that I have not yet watched any of them. Now, I fear that I must. What happens if I find that I am compelled to add them to our classes in SM 2210? I fear that we are already running out of time. Hopefully they will do one on hockey, so I can find a way to incorporate more about hockey into the class.
ReplyDelete