In class recently, we learned about a few of the key figures in sport during the 19th century, according to our textbook, names like – John Cox Stevens, “Father” Henry Chadwick, and John L. Sullivan – were prominent in their field (Rader, 2009). While learning about these gentlemen, my mind began to wonder into more recent history. I began to think of athletes that I would consider to be icons of sport in the 20th century. Based on my own reasoning and information that I have learned about athletes in the sporting world of the 1900s, I produced a list of two names whom I consider to be the Most Overrated and the Most Underrated athlete of the 20th century.
Most Overrated – Joe Namath (NFL Quarterback)
While I am pretty sure he was able to handle himself well outside of the football field, his results on the field do not even come close to the level of acclaim and praise he receives. Aside from successfully predicting that his heavy-underdog New York Jets would beat the seemingly-great Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III, in what turned out to be a career defining victory, Namath only completed 50.1 percent of his pass attempts throughout his career (NFL.com), a shockingly low number.
To his credit, “Broadway Joe” embodied New York fashion and flare, characteristics that probably turned him into a billboard sensation and media darling. Two other statistics to consider that may help bolster my argument, according to his profile on NFL.COM: Only 173 career touchdown passes versus 220 career interceptions. Nonetheless, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985.
Most Underrated – Jack Johnson (Boxer)
As the first African-American heavyweight champion of boxing, Jack Johnson was perhaps one of the most underrated individuals of the 20th century, let alone the world of sports. I first learned of the “Galveston Giant” while watching a documentary about his life on PBS titled "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise And Fall of Jack Johnson." He was nearly unbeatable in the ring during his time, and suffered the majority of his professional losses after the prime of his career. Johnson was the victor in the "The Fight of The Century" on July 4, 1910 against Jim Jeffries, a former boxing great who was brought out of retirement in an attempt to stop the reigning World Heavyweight champion. According to documentary Director Ken Burns, “For more than thirteen years, Jack Johnson was the most famous and the most notorious African-American on earth” (Unforgivable Blackness, 2005).
Due to his rebellious “you can’t tell me anything” attitude, frequent run-ins with the law, and his ways with women – white women in particular, during an era when the concept of slavery was still fresh in the minds of many – not much is said or written about Jack Johnson when it comes to creating lists of 20th century sporting icons. Johnson passed away in an automobile accident in 1946. Since his death, many proposals have been submitted to congress to posthumously grant Johnson, a legendary boxer, with a full presidential pardon.
--
So there you have it readers. Do you agree or disagree? Any suggestions? Consider my list as you wish.

I am especially glad that you brought up Jack Johnson, because we will be discussing him in Monday's class. I will probably make a reference to your link so people can respond to it after we see the video in class. I was not aware that Ken Burns had produced a documentary on Johnson, but I would love to see it. I know that many people have advocated for Jack Johnson to be pardoned, and I hope that he is. I hope you will share your observations (in class) that you learned from watching the documentary about him. Thanks for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteOliver, I completely with your choice of the most overrated athlete. Although I would almost think that there would be more overrated players for each sport. I mean the man did guarantee a super bowl victory. Babe Ruth called a shot, what if he would have struck out? Would we view him the same? Matt Hasselback guaranteed an overtime victory versus the Packers in 2004, but lost 33-27. Do we view him as a bad quarterback? Nope. But because Broadway Joe backed up his smack talk, he will forever be remembered as an elite quarterback. His stats really aren’t that spectacular, but his image won’t ever change. It’s kind of hard to pick the overall “most overrated” athlete, but Namath isn’t a bad choice.
ReplyDelete